Thursday, March 09, 2006

An Article on Software Development Best Practices

Received an email at work today about this article: The Joel Test: 12 Steps to Better Code - Joel on Software. Now, myself, when I was planning on a move back to Knoxville, as my wife has an Internship here, the best candidate company I had down there at first was a financial services company that has been experimenting for the last two or so years in implementing Agile Processes.

In talking with a friend of mine who works there, I've learned they've got the whole gamut. They run hourly integration tests -- mind you we're talking automated tests. Everything is regularly recompiled and redeployed, although he admits that they've run into some trouble with the automated deploy process. Code is peer-reviewed before being checked in. Unit tests are written for most of the code that is produced.

I ended up taking a job with some former co-workers who have started a company. But I would have loved to have seen the Agile environment in practice!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home